What I saved today

How I saved money, time or the environment today or recently. Relevant comments or questions are appreciated.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

my mega grocery shopping trip

Kids will be out of school for the summer next week, so it was a good day for me to do some major stocking up on groceries.  The bagel shop, upscale supermarket and warehouse store are five miles from my house, but within a half mile of each other.  By visiting them one after the other, I saved time, money (less gas used) and the environment (less carbon monoxide produced by car).

My kids love bagels, and I love the whole grain bagels this particular bagel shop makes. Ideally, I would have gone tomorrow because the bagel shop discounts a baker's dozen bagels by $2 on Wednesdays.  But I really needed to shop today as I won't have time tomorrow.  And I had hoped to get my bagels from the half price bin, but there were only bagels we don't like.  I've heard that if they don't have a half price bin, many bagel shops will still sell you day-old bagels if you ask.  While the bagels taste good fresh, we also like them toasted.  I slice the bagels in half and put them in the freezer.  We can just pop the frozen bagels in the toaster as needed.

I'm very careful about what I buy at the upscale supermarket.  According to my price comparison list, I can get nearly everything there cheaper someplace else.  However, this store does double and sometimes triple coupons, so sometimes it's worthwhile to buy an item when using a coupon, especially if the item is on sale.  I buy beef and pork at this store because this is the nearest and least expensive place I know of to get these items without added hormones and antibiotics.  I generally wait for a sale.  There is a particular brand name cereal one son really likes which I was buying in bulk at the warehouse store, but today I bought it at the upscale supermarket because I could combine a sale with a coupon and beat the warehouse price. I had a coupon for $.55 off one 17 oz. box.  The store doubled it to $1 and the box was $2.50, so I was able to get it for $1.50, only $1.42 per pound! (yeah, I know homemade granola is cheaper).  There was also a Buy 2 Get 3 Free deal I took advantage of and a couple of other unbeatable sales.

At the warehouse store, among other things,  I purchased a jumbo pack of chicken breasts without added hormones or antibiotics, a five-lb. bag of shredded mozzarella (block was the same price, or I might have shredded it myself), frozen mixed fruit for fruit and juice smoothies, chewing gum and a bulk package of imitation crab meat.  When I got home, I broke up the mozzarella and imitation crab meat into approximately 1 lb. portions, put them in square reusable containers, and put them in the freezer.  Buying bulk also saves the environment when it cuts down on packaging waste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home