What I saved today

How I saved money, time or the environment today or recently. Relevant comments or questions are appreciated.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Sterilize produce, clean your home with two simple ingredients

Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar have abilities to sterilize, but together their strength was magnified. According to one study "If the acetic acid got rid of 100 organisms, the hydrogen peroxide would get rid of 10,000, and the two together would get rid of 100,000." [1]

In later tests at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, it was found the combination will kill almost all Salmonella, Shigella, and E. coli O157:H7 bacteria.

I don't want to kill the good bacteria in the house, so I only use the combination when I fear some bad bacteria, like when I work with raw meat or when washing vegetables that will be used raw.  The vinegar and hydrogen peroxide need to be kept in separate bottles, as combined together they form a weak acid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home